German Walnut Rounds
- 2 cups California walnuts
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla sugar(may substitute with vanilla paste or extract)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Food coloring spray in gold and silver
- 60 individual California walnuthalves
- Preheat oven: Electric Oven: 350°F; Convection: 300°F; Gas: see manufacturer’s specifications.
- Grind 2 cups of walnuts in food processor until coarsely ground. Add flour, butter, salt, sugar, vanilla sugar (or substitute), egg and chopped walnuts to a mixing bowl.
- Use a dough hook or hands to knead a short crust. Roll dough into log, and wrap with plastic wrap or wax paper, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Cut log into small 1/4 inch rounds. Spread the circles on three baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake each sheet individually in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes each. Take the cookies out of the oven and let cool.
- For the icing, sift powdered sugar in a bowl and mix with water. Brush each cookie with the icing and let it dry for about 1 hour. Set the remaining icing aside.
- Spray one half of each cookie in gold and the other half in silver. Tip: use a piece of paper to cover each half while the other side is being sprayed. Add the remaining icing on each of the remaining walnut halves and place one on top of each cookie. Let dry, and serve.