For many reasons, walnuts can be a nutritious food for people living with diabetes or metabolic syndrome. Individuals with diabetes or metabolic syndrome often have conditions such as high blood pressure, abnormal cholesterol, high triglycerides and obesity, which increase the risk for heart disease and stroke.
According to International Diabetes Federation;
- 55 million adults (20-79) are living with diabetes in the IDF MENA Region in 2019. This figure is estimated to increase to 108 million by 2045.
- The prevalence of diabetes in the IDF MENA Region is 12.8%.
- 45% of people living with diabetes in the IDF MENA Region are undiagnosed.
- Diabetes is expected to cause 418,900 deaths in the IDF MENA Region in 2019.
- 1 in 9 live births in the IDF MENA Region are affected by hyperglycaemia in pregnancy.
- USD 25 billion was spent on healthcare for people with diabetes in 2019. This figure is estimated to increase by 55% by 2045.